The Ramona Municipal Water District (RMWD) was formed on August 15, 1956, as a municipal water district. Organized under the Municipal Water District Law of 1911, Water Code Section 71000, RMWD provides water, sewer, recycled water, fire protection, emergency medical services and park services.
Other significant milestone dates for RMWD include:
- 1967 - acquired the Ramona Irrigation District that was formed in 1925;
- 1970 - annexed the San Diego Country Estates; and
- 1981 - merged with the Ramona Sanitation District (San Vicente Sewer Service Area and Santa Maria Sewer Service Area), and with the Ramona Fire Protection District.
The RMWD boundaries encompass approximately 45,800 acres (75 square miles) in the unincorporated area of San Diego County. RMWD provides services to approximately 7,000 urban parcels and 3,000 rural parcels with an approximate population of 40,000 people. The RMWD service area encompasses the Santa Maria Valley and surrounding hills with elevations ranging from 1,300 feet to 2,100 feet mean sea level (MSL). Approximately 13 million kilowatts of energy are used to pump water to Ramona each year.
Ramona Municipal Water District is governed by a five-member board of directors that serve staggered four-year terms of office, representing five geographical divisions. The Board meets once per month in an open session. See Board Meetings for dates, time and location.
The District has approximately 50 full time employees, structured under seven departments that serve under the direction of a General Manager. Departments include Administrative Services, Engineering, Finance, Wastewater Operations and Water Operations. Two of the departments are operated under contract, including Fire and Parks (managed by Ramona Parks and Recreation Association - “RPRA”).